We're Men! Of Course We'll Do Stupid Things.

In another fine example of Men Doing Stupid Things, my friends Jeff, Ofer and I are doing an ‘Iron Butt’ ride this weekend. We’ll ride to Colorado and back to Vegas and home, 1,500 miles in 36 hours. Why? Because we can send documentation of our dogged determination, include a check for $40, and get a $5 Iron Butt license plate frame. Shoot, I’ve done stupider things for less, so it runs the stupid meter pretty low, actually.
Like for instance, I probably won’t get injured like off road racing dirt bikes. Won’t bust up the bike. Seems like less risk than bungee jumping, parachuting, rocketing across a dry lake bed at 190 plus mph, downhill skiing or mountain biking.
If you’re a biker and this sounds like something you’d like to do, just email me and I’ll refer you to a therapist. No! You’re welcome to come along. My buddies will leave Las Vegas around 5:30 a.m. Pacific time, and we’ll meet in Cedar City around 8:30 a.m. Mountain time.
For your entertainment and edification, I’ve posted photos of autumn in Brian Head, rather than a photo of a guy riding a bike in a stupor. The aspen trees have turned a dazzling yellow, and look incredible against the deep blue sky.

On Monday, I’ll post a full report of the Iron Butt Challenge. 








2 comments:

Mel said...

Oh deer, oh deer... All those beautiful trees... and no deer!

Unknown said...

Being a street bike rider, I'm not too wild about deer. They are pretty stupid. WAY stupider than riding for 1,500 miles, but there's a hint of the pot calling the kettle black.
KP