50 States Church Surch Week 42

  Anastasia Baptist Church
 
Peter and John looked at him intently, and Peter said, “Look at us!” The lame man looked at them eagerly, expecting some money. But Peter said, “I don’t have any silver or gold for you. But I’ll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!”
Acts 3: 4-6
 

ABC was a huge church, with a foyer that looks like a train depot. Two separate sanctuaries feed off it, apparently so they can have the Contemporary Service while they prepare for another Traditional. It's a hopping place, with a service on Saturday night, three on Sunday and one Sunday night. I chose Contemporary. No one greeted me except the bulletin guy and I sat by the aisle. Soon two pastors worked the aisle, shaking hands from the front. The guy on my side shook my hand while he engaged the man behind me, never making eye contact with me. It supported my feeling that this was a country club church. Great to be in the club, tougher when you're not.


The worship was excellent, drawing us to God with modern music, and even the traditional 'Crown Him With Many Crowns,' but modernized. Very good. And they signed for the deaf, always a great service. The pastor talked about Acts where Peter and John healed the lame man. Funny he talked about 'look at me' when no one at the church had looked at me. Let's digress:
 
People seldom look at one another lately. We drive A/C cars with tinted windows up, roll into our garages and hit the button. But even in one on one situations, we don't look at each other. Think about it and work on it. The eyes are the window to the soul, so why wouldn't we look someone in the eye? Waitresses really don't get eye treatment. And homeless people? Never.
 
The church is large, with 1,661 attending last week (their number) and                                                                                                                                                            it's a giving church with an average last week of $36 each, high number-most churches give around $20 or so. And they are celebrating reducing their debt from originally $7 million to less than $1M. They are throwing a party. I say, "Party down!"
 
The service ended and people mixed, lots of friends and fellowship. I spoke to no one, milled about and left.
 
Two weeks in a row of really nice churches with hope. I call it a country club, and many if not most churches are, but sometimes a country club is a good portal to get people in the door in the first place. But come on people, friendly and eye contact.
 
And don't forget The Week in Review, previous post. Thanks!


No comments: