Confessions of a Life of Crime- It Ain't Over Yet!


My crime spree continues. If you missed it, you can look it up under 'Current Stuff', 'Confessions of a Life of Crime.' Or, read the nickel tour:
Some time in January of this year, I got a ticket for an illegal u-turn in the stupidest place. If you don't make the u-turn, you must wander through a WalMart parking lot, cross a curb into oncoming lot traffic, and squirt between a couple of buildings. So, doing the smart thing, I got a ticket. All right. It was a stupid thing.
Gave the ticket to Whiplash McCracken, ace attorney who stands for truth, justice, and the American way. Actually, he gets it reduced to a parking ticket.
Whip drops the ball.
I receive a bench warrant- 'failure to appear'- on May 17th.
Whip picks up the ball to fix it.
June 7th, (my birthday!), I'm driving with a bench warrant and get pulled over for tabs expired- six months! The cop writes me a ticket and that's all. Whew!
Apparently, the city of Henderson doesn't talk to the State Patrol, so my life of crime goes unabated.
Ol' Whip fixes the warrant and the u-turn.
I decide to do the righteous thing and pay this ticket. On June 7th,I go downtown, feed the slot machine- I mean, the parking meter, and get a number. Wait an hour. Get called to the desk. Present the ticket.
"We haven't received the ticket yet. Come back in a month."
What? You must be kidding me.
August 24th, 78 days after the ticket, I do it all again- smarter this time. I arrive early, at 9:03 a.m. Draw a number. B207. Look up. B143. B143??? Is this a joke? There are 67 people ahead of me?
Yep.
Wait an hour. Get called. Present the evidence.
"We haven't received the ticket yet and can't procees this."
I turn and leave, quite angry. Then I realize it.
I'm a criminal again!
The meter was only for forty minutes.
If I have a parking ticket, I am REALLY going to be mad!
"Whatever happened to due process? 'A fair and speedy trial'?" I mutter as I turn the corner and look at the windshield of the little yellow car.
No ticket.
Whew. At least I skated on that one.
However, I give up. I'm sending the tabs ticket to another attorney.
We will fight it.
Truth, justice and the American way!
Or get it reduced.
The life of crime continues.

No comments: