50 States Church Surch Week 15

Church Surch Week 15, Shepherd of the Bay Lutheran Church Ellison Bay, WI




In their defense, I entered the sanctuary, found an open pew and sat down. But afterwards, there's always time to mingle. Yet I only shook hands with the Pastor upon the exit. No one spoke to me. Okay, when I geared up to leave, just before I put on my helmet, a nice older woman rolled down her window and said, "Thanks for coming." If you want to be more social, get in touch with the older woman in you. They connect. But this church is low, if not lowest in social connection so far.
I grew up Catholic and for the life of me, fail to see much difference between the Catholics and the Lutherans. However, I read Wikipedia on Martin Luther and it was an eye opener. He opposed indulgences, which were paying the church for forgiveness of sins. The church wanted more indulgences to rehab St. Peter's Basilica and a monk named Luther thought that was wrong. He didn't intend to ignite a revolution, but wanted answers to some tough questions, hence his '95 Theses.'
The printing press moved Luther's words like lightning. It started the Information Age, and began with the church. During those days the Catholic Church was laced with corruption. Luther opposed indulgences and was instrumental in getting the Bible translated and into the hands of common folk.  Wikipedia also alluded to Luther's planting the seeds of anti-semitism. Like I said, an eye opener. Read it for yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther  It's a lot to read, but fascinating. Pardon me for swinging the car down a side street.
This church sings, along with a guitarist, singer and pianist. The songs ranged from traditional Afro-American Spiritual (their words), contemporary (Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Chris Tomlin), and traditional. Their bulletin
contained not only the songs with music, but the liturgy of the service, so a
visitor isn't lost.
One traditional song said, "Kyrie eleison" which I thought curious, as I never use that phrase in social settings, and Luther fought to make the Mass in the language of the people. FYI it means 'Lord have mercy,' and it is Greek.  Pastor Bruce Foster preached on the second reading of the Word, Eph. 4:1-16, how we can be alone personally, but as a church we need each other, and each person has gifts that can be shared with the church and the community. He quoted the beliefs of the Apostles' Creed and the Nicene Creed, which I believe are right on.
The church is active in the community, and what I love about the church (the church in general) is how much they give and help others.



The church seats around three hundred and only forty five people attended.   Few people under sixty, except grandkids. The pipe organ sits silent. I couldn't help but think of two days ago, fifty-six thousand people at Lambeau Field, standing with their arms raised, singing/shouting, "Sponge Bob Square Pants!" Why can't the church be like that? Well, not singing Sponge Bob Square Pants, but you get the idea-passion.
Nevertheless, I saw God there. Just wish more folks did.



 Check out the previous blog for the final Harley Museum posting.


No comments: